Pulling it off: What looks good with high-waisted jeans?May 2, 2018
From simple crop tops and leather moto jackets, to flats and heels – if you let your imagination flow, it’s amazing what looks good with high-waisted jeans today.
Mom jeans are back with a vengeance, with many of the leading fashion labels including some parts of their line-ups to revive this blast from the past. But what looks good with high-waisted jeans? Read on to find out!
Taking the high road
Looking to wear your favourite crop tops but worried it’ll show your belly bulge? Can’t wait to get into a pair of nice-fitting jeans, but afraid of those love handles? Want to slide into a pair of skinny jeans, but wondering if it’ll give away your muffin top? Well, when you are somewhat restricted in what you can wear, just grab a pair of high waisted pants or slacks, and you could be off to the races!
So, what looks good with high-waisted jeans?
The short answer: Quite a lot, actually! But that’s not what high rise lovers want to hear. You have so many questions about wearing high waisted jean outfits, and the short answer just won’t cut it.
So, let’s delve into the long answer too…and to do that, lets understand what high waisted pants and slacks are, so you’ll be able to better appreciate what looks good with them.
Technically speaking, the definition of high waisted jean outfits is anything that is designed to rest higher than your hips. Typically, jeans and pants that are a minimum of three inches (approximately 8 centimetres) above your navel, would qualify.
The skinny on waist-highs and skinny jeans
The thing about wearing high waisted pants and jeans is that there are so many ways to make it work, that almost everyone can be seen wearing that look today. Part of the reason for the recent resurgence of high waisted pants, is that they are so versatile.
In the late 1970s and early 80s, you could see anyone who was anyone wearing high waisted pants, jeans and slacks. It was a rave back then, and the fashion trend seems to be making a comeback once more. But that was back then.
Thanks to their popularity, high rise is back in vogue today…especially as street wear all across the world. From Paris to Millan, and from New York to London, famous fashion labels too are bringing back high waisted jean outfits from the past and giving them a distinctly contemporary look. Brands like the “Wedgie fit” from Levi’s are making jeans lovers take a second look at high rise fashion – And…it’s working!
But while they still look amazing, there’s definitely an art (some would argue it’s a science!) to wearing high rise (another name for high waisted pants).
So, without further ado, lets find out what looks good with high-waisted jeans and pants, shall we?
The way to high rise power
Whether you are tall and slightly full-figured, or whether you are petite, average height or of slender build, there’s always something there for you if you want to wear high waisted jeans or pants outfits.
Here are eight killer ideas for those of you that love wearing high waisted pants:
- If you own a pile of crop tops that you don’t know what to do with, then why not wear a pair of high rise jeans and pair them with your crop tops? It works every time!
- Worried about shoes you could wear to match with your high waisted jean outfits? Actually, there’s a lot that works well with high-waisted outfits. Try on a pair of sneakers, preferably unblemished. Or just slip into your most comfortable pair of flats.
- If you are a Cardi-girl, favouring the timeless cardigan to leather jackets or trench coats, then there’s no reason why you shouldn’t be wearing high waisted outfits with your favourite outer-wear. Just slip on a pair of black high waisted jeans, and dawn on a light-coloured sweater or cardigan. You’re all set!
- Girls (sometimes!) love to look tough and have some fun too…so why not do it in a pair of mom jeans? It matters not what your figure type is – if you want to go for the wide leg look – go for it! If you look good in tighter-fit clothes, skinny jeans might work for you. Finish that look with a bomber or cropped moto jacket, and you’re almost done. A pair of killer heels will really turn you into the Bad Girl of your crowd!
Wearing high waisted jeans
- And speaking of crowds…if you want to turn heads, and have a fab belly to show, you can really cause a stir by wearing high waisted jeans – here’s how: Take one of your favourite summer crop tops, and pair them with a light denim high waisted wide leg or skinny jeans. Now, to round off your look, finish it off with a dark blazer or denim jacket.
High rise look
- But you really don’t need well-toned abs or a wash-board tummy to pull off the high rise look. Wear a black and white striped shirt, and then tuck it into a pair of black high waisted jeans. This classical look can be finished off with a nice pair of ankle boots.
80s corset tops
- Wanna go retro with your mom jeans? Why not pull out that 80s corset top that you’ve been hiding way back in the closet. Nothing says retro like a flowery corset top and a pair of high waisted jeans. You can finish off with a light sweater draped around your shoulders or worn open (never buttoned down!).
- And if you are looking to style your high waisted jeans for a fall or late summer evening, then go for a pair of skinny jeans. To pull this look off, choose a light-coloured pair of jeans, and a darker cropped sweater. Finish off your high rise look with a pair of killer heels – and you’re good to go!
So, have you decided what looks good with high-waisted jeans in the back of your closet? The answer may shock and surprise you. May have thought you’d outgrown the fad from the 80s – but you’re in for an awakening: Mom jeans are back on!
There are literally a thousand ways to wearing high waisted pants and jeans. But the best advice anyone can give you is to follow the KIS principle and keep it simple.