Eighties Fashion Themes
Take a look at some of the major style themes and influencers of Eighties fashion, a decade of neon bright clothes, statement style and big hair.
- Sloane Ranger styles ala Princess Diana, from ruffled prairie-style blouses tucked into demure floral midi skirts, to knitted vests worn over button-down blouses and tapered trousers.
- Punk rock style the way Boy George and other rockers did it, with plenty of black leather embellished with chunky metal chains, big spiky hair and neon-bright makeup.
- Eightiesmusic icon trends set by the likes of Madonna, Cindi Lauper, the girls of Bananarama and The Bangles, with their big curls tied in bows or scrunchies, tutu skirts over leggings, fishnet stockings with Doc Martins, blue eyeshadow and red lips.
- Power suits done the Maggie Thatcher and Dynasty way, with exaggerated shoulders, pussy bow blouses, lots of pearl necklaces and high heeled pumps.
- Eightiesstyle as defined by the global supermodels of the day including Cindy Crawford, Linda Evangelista, Naomi Campbell and their ilk, strutting the visions of Azzedine Alaia, Thierry Mugler, Ralph Lauren and Calvin Klein down the catwalk.
There were just a handful of the key Eighties fashion and style themes that continue to be reinvented, reworked and reimagined for today.
Eighties fashion for your next fancy-dress party
While some key Eighties trends are alive and well today, you can also choose the styles and looks from this decade to rock your net costume party, so go ahead and let your imagination loose!
Take the punk rock look for a spin by pairing any oversized T-shirt emblazoned with graphics or logos with a full mini skirt.
Knot the Tee at your waist and layer on coloured leggings tucked into black Doc Martin booties. Finish your punk look with a faux leather black moto jacket and throw a bunch of long pearl necklaces around your neck.
Top it all off with teased curls wrapped in a polka dot scarf knotted in a big bow, and lashings of loud makeup. Now you have the Madonna look down to perfection!
Eighties athletic look
Another style to try for that Eighties costume party is the athletic look done the Jane Fonda way. Spandex leggings in a neon-bright colour, topped with leg warms in a clashing shade of bright and a cropped off-the-shoulder T-shirt layered on top.
Then add a bright and patterned headband to hold back your hair, which you should gel-up for a glossy, spiky look.
Finish your outfit with bright eye shadow and glossy lipstick and add your favourite pair of sneakers to be comfortable yet stylish all at once.
Get yourself a throwback Eighties power suit and make like it’s the Ronald Reagan era and you are a power boss! Add a floral blouse with a pussy bow neckline, some bright high-heeled pumps and a pearl necklace and you are rocking that boss-lady look!
Or try on the Eighties supermodel look for your fancy dress party. Get yourself a brightly coloured leather mini dress or a lycra bodysuit tucked into a fitted mini skirt or a cropped top worn with ribcage-grazing “Mom” jeans.
Then add some sky-high stiletto heels, plenty of bright makeup and lots of big hair to look like Linda, Helena, Elle, Cindy or Christy.
Now that you have some inspiration for your next Eighties fancy dress party, read on for ideas for makeup and hair to go with.
Eighties makeup for your costume party
Try on some of these looks for your Eighties fancy dress party:
- Make a style statement with bright primary colours on your eye lids, from turquoise blue to deep rich violet to fluorescent green.
- Add lots of black mascara to your lashes and don’t forget to draw in your brows with pencil or shadow to make them look as full and thick as possible.
- Paint your lips a bright blue-red if you are light-haired, or a coral-red if brunette. Then layer on lashings of gloss to finish the lippie look.
- Plenty of warm coral blush finishes the Eightiesmakeup look.
- Add a final touch with a short nails painted in bright yellow, pink or blue.
Now that you have dressed your face for that Eighties fancy dress party, read on for tips to style your hair.
Hair done the Eighties way
Complete your 80s style fancy dress look from top to toe with some Eighties hair ideas:
- Buy yourself a permed wig at your local fancy dress party supplies store and pop that over your hair.
- Slick your hair with gel and wear it spiky and standing up on top.
- Find that crimper in the back of your closet and crimp your locks and bangs.
- Finish it all up with headbands, big floppy bows or a scrunchie-tied pony tail.
Rock your Eighties Look the modern way
Refresh your current wardrobe by adding some Eighties style into your retro-modern looks. Read on for throwback spin ideas:
- Grab a pair of acid wash jeans from your local thrift or consignment store with a girlfriend or boyfriend fit. Then pair it with a cropped white T-shirt with graphics, logos or slogans on the front, worn over a colourful tank or camisole.
Finish your casual look with your favourite white sneakers, add a patterned scrunchie to your pony tail and you are rocking your very own spin on Eighties street style.
- Get yourself a blazer or jacket with shoulder pads built in. No need for the exaggerated shoulders of the Eighties– the more subtle structure of today’s blazers pair perfectly with your skinny jeans or cropped cigarette trousers for a sophisticated current spin on Eighties power dressing.
- Embellish your favourite denim jacket with a bunch of bright and pretty pins or patches to rock another Eightiestrend today. This look never went out of style and looks fresh when paired with skinny cords or layered over a floral dress.
- Add a pair of reflector sunnies in green, blue or purple to amplify your throwback style.
- Get yourself some white ankle booties and rock them with your dresses, wide-legged jeans or cropped skinny pants. These Eighties classics go with anything and are timeless in style.
- Add some gold or silver lame into your current look by pairing a vintage Eighties lame tank top with your dark wash skinny jeans and strappy sandals for a night out on the dance floor.
Sloan Ranger look
- Go Diana style with a ruffled prairie blouse with a demure high neck and tuck it into some skinny cropped jeans or trousers worn with your favourite pumps for a modern spin on the Sloan Ranger look.
Eighties body suits
- Eighties style body suits are still very much a thing, so get yourself a modern version and wear it tucked into your skinny jeans under a moto jacket for a date night out, and add layers of pearl necklaces for a retro Eighties
Now that you’ve been inspired with all the ways you can amplify your current style with Eighties classics, it’s time to go shopping!
Where to source Eighties fashion
Source the biggest selection of Eighties clothes, shoes and accessories online at these global market places:
Global market places
- Rusty Zipper has an iconic, highly curated selection of top quality Eightiesfashion options for you to browse through and choose from.
You will find original vintage pieces from the 1980s, in dresses, skirts, tops, pants and accessories.
You will also find one-of-kind whimsy in brightly coloured and patterned leg warmers, feminine and flirty aprons and throwback style hats to finish your retro look.
- Etsy is another place to find unique items that will ensure you stand out from the fashion crowd.
They present you with a huge selection of Eighties clothing and accessories at all price points, so something for everyone’s budget.
Stay for a while and browse through the one-of-a-kind treasures you will find here, then pick those custom pieces that speak to your style persona and add them to your fashion repertoire.
- Modcloth is the place to be for modern spins on vintage Eighties Everything here is whimsical, pretty, retro-styled and crafted with modern fabrications and quality.
This market place has its look books to show you how to put these retro pieces together for the perfect modern ensemble, so be inspired and get yourself a head-to-toe outfit from this very popular shopping site.
- Asos is another very popular global market place, with a huge range of retro trends to choose from, at all types of price points and with fits from petite to extended sizes, so you are sure to find something to suit your taste, budget and size here.
- An alternative to online shopping are the local thrift shops in your neighbourhood, where you can experience the thrill of treasure hunting through real-life fabrics, styles and prints and finding those one-of-a-kind pieces you won’t see anywhere else.
Besides immediate gratification, you have the added benefit of ridiculously low pricing so you can splurge on many outfits and wear them for everyday life or just for an Eighties themed fancy-dress party.
- If you are in the market for high-end designer brands from the Eighties, head on over to the consignment stores in your city and take a look at the highly curated, top-quality offerings on display.
While the price points are higher than at your local thrift store, you are getting value for your investment pieces and they will give you many seasons of fashion pleasure and use.
Now you know the best places to source your Eighties fashion from, so block some “me” time for yourself and refresh your wardrobe with some timeless fun finds from the 1980s!
Disclaimers and Conditions of Use
By using this site, you agree to the terms and conditions stipulated hereunder. This text is offered under commons attribution sharealike license. However, due to the depth of valuable content available here sharealike license additional terms and conditions may also be applicable. When you use content available on this site you agree to abide by these and other terms introduced and updated periodically under creative commons attribution sharealike by the site’s administrators.