We stock only original apparel from this iconic decade and you can be confident of buying authentic and carefully chosen items.All of our stock is carefully inspected before putting anything up for sale and you can be sure you are buying the best quality available at the lowest price.
Browse our Women’s range for a fine selection of dresses, flared jeans and trousers, skirts, jackets tops, blouses and accessories. Check out the Men’s section for tank tops, shirts, jeans and jackets. buy original items from the decade which are available in a wide choice of styles, prints and colours.
You can be sure you are buying original and unique items that no one else will be seen in.Welcome to our unique selection and we invite you to browse at leisure.
Rock the best of Seventies style the retro-modern way!
Seventies classic and timeless fashion trends continue to flatter and enrich our wardrobes today as we mashup retro with modern looks for a twist on throwback style.
Pull out all the stops and take some Seventies timeless trends for a spin with your current favourite pieces. Show your fashion savvy and skills at combining old and new for a fresh style interpretation that is all your own!
Be inspired by the top trends of Seventies fashion, see what style influencers wore back in the day, then check out the best places to source yourself some perfect throwback clothes, shoes and accessories.
Seventies Style Origins
Fashion and style trends in the Seventies were wide-ranging and offered choices for everyone’s taste and needs but there were some common cultural themes that underpinned the iconic trends of the day.
- A play on colour: Seventies style was all about the pairing of bright colours together in shirts, skirts, dresses, pants and every other clothing and accessory. Pictured ruffled shirts in neon shades, or swirls of colour on maxi skirts and you get the vibe.
- Hippie-chic: the hippie-chic look was born in the Sixties and came into its own in the Seventies. This trend was all about peasant blouses, tie dyed everything, fringed ponchos and bell-bottom jeans. The look was completed with chokers, headbands and back-to-nature jewellery.
- Bobo-chic: a variation on the hippie-chic vibe, Bohemian dressing in the Seventies was about casual comfort in loose tunic tops, lots of vibrant colours and prints, plenty of fringe and cowboy influences, and whimsical patterns in tops, dresses and skirts.
- Casual comfort: By the middle of the Seventies, casual comfortable clothing was a leading trend, with lots of natural fibres like poplin, linen, cotton and wool used to create breathable clothes. Also trending was T-shirts embellished with logos and slogans, paired with high-waisted flared jeans.
- Office tailored: At the opposite end of the casual spectrum, Seventies work wear was all about tailored skirt and pant suits worn with midi skirts, flared trousers and pussy bow floral print blouses. Men showed their style personas with printed, pastel-coloured shirts and ties.
- Disco dreaming: For off-duty Seventies looks, the disco dance floor drove evening and weekend style trends. Women rocked tube-tops, sequins and bodysuits in Lycra and spandex and guys wore flared tights pants, wide-lapel jackets and platform shoes.
- Heritage dressing: Seventies style trends also saw the use of timeless heritage fabrics like velvet, corduroy and wool in classic paisley, plaid, polka dot and striped patterns. Casual wear was in always-popular flannel and denim.
These were just some of the top Seventies style and fashion trends, many of which are still rocking fashion runways today.
Seventies fashion icons
Iconic styles of the Seventies were defined by celebrities known for their transcendent fashion sense and trend-setting interpretations.
- Ali McGraw as Seventies trend-setter: “Love Story” made her famous and everyone copied Ali McGraw’s looks from that cult movie.Long winter coats with knitted patterned scarves and matching caps and plenty of Ivy League style in the mix.
For real life, Ali was big on bohemian dressing, wearing plenty of floral, paisley, crochet and cowgirl spins in her shirts, blouses, skirts, vests and jeans.With her long pin-straight and centre-parted black hair, she epitomized the hippie-chic girl of the Seventies.
- Seventies style the Twiggy way: One of the first global supermodels, Twiggy was another Seventies fashion and style trend-setter. Known for her androgynous shape and classic shift dresses, she reinvented Sixties trends for a new generation.
Mini skirts with knee-high white boots, blouses and shift dresses in primary colours with contrasting Peter Pan collars and pocket trims, ribbed fitted sweaters under menswear-inspired pant suits were just some of the most popular styles influenced by Twiggy.
Farah Fawcett Style
- Farah Fawcett Style: Widely-known and emulated for her Seventies styles on “Charlie’s Angels”, Farah Fawcett was another top trend-setting influencer of Seventies.
Farah rocked the casual look with vintage menswear-style shirts in flannel, gingham and checks or fitted ribbed sweaters tucked into bell-bottom pale wash jeans and paired with sneakers, a look ahead of its time.
Her co-stars on “Charlie’s Angels” – Kate Jackson and Jaclyn Smith – were Seventies style icons in their own right, wearing smart fitted pant suits for workday looks, or flared jeans and slogan-embellished T-shirts for off-duty style.
- Seventies designs by Laura Ashley: Heritage floral prints converted into romantic, feminine looks and replicated into interior design options were the trademark of designer Laura Ashley.
In addition to her garden-themed florals, she brought Edwardian-style frilled and beribboned blouses and full midi skirts into the Seventies style lexicon, emphasizing a demure, prairie-inspired look.
Now that you have been inspired by these cult Seventies fashion and design icons, take a look at the top places to source your Seventies fashion.
Sourcing Seventies style
The key Seventies trends and influences explored above live on today’s catwalks and runways, reimagined and re-worked for a new generation of fashion aficionados.
Here’s where you can find and inject some of these classic, timeless styles into your own wardrobe today.
This trendy virtual market place for all things vintage offers you a curated, one-of-a-kind selection of Seventies oldies but goodies.
Look for bohemian classics like heritage shirts, blouses and dresses in stripes and florals, or fitted short white T-shirts with slogans or logos.
Pair your Seventies top with bell-bottom jeans or flared checked trousers for a top-to-toe throwback look, then add modern accessories to finish.
Or get yourself some Seventies accessories like a heavy sterling silver peace pendant on a large link chain, and pair with your favourite black turtleneck sweater and bootcut jeans for a modern look with a dash of Seventies flair.
Tassel earrings, multi-coloured long beaded necklaces and oversized hoop earrings are other ways to spin Seventies classics with modern looks.
At Rusty Zipper, you will see a vast array of heritage clothes, shoes, bags and accessories from decades past.
Take a virtual tour through their Seventies selection and experience choices from blue chambray shirts for laidback daytime wear to brightly coloured tube-tops and sequined camisoles for evenings out.
Then check out their vintage platform shoes and slide-on mules to go with your flared jeans or maxi dresses.
When you are searching for something unique that no-one else is wearing, head on over to Etsy, the global market place for one-of-a-kind authentic vintage fashion.
Find here original Seventies clothes, shoes and accessories, from crocheted vests and ponchos, to tie-dyed everything, to handmade knitted classics like pom-pom embellished ponchos and oversized long cardigans.
Etsy’s collection is all authentic vintage options, so you know you are getting choices from back in the day, with high quality and true Seventies styling.
Their selection gives you everything you are looking for, from retro shirts, blouses, skirts, dresses and pants, to the full ensemble including shoes and jewellery.
Put together a unique Seventies head-to-foot outfit or select a few key pieces to mash-up with your current favourites.
Forever21 offers you a modern take on heritage Seventies fashion. Find here new spins on old classics, like flared cropped jeans, white ankle boots – so Seventies! – mini skirts, corduroy jeans and more.
With modern fabrics, design and finishes, these clothes combine Seventies styling with today’s durability, stretch and comfort, so rock on with some easy, low-cost fashion options.
Don’t forget to check out their accessories section too. Pair your throwback style with classic black velvet chokers, chain link necklaces, oversized hoop earrings and big stone rings for true Seventies style.
We all know that Amazon is the giant among online market places, where you have the widest selection in terms of choice and price points.
Like shopping the aisles of a huge flea market, you can search for and find vintage treasures or modern spins on Seventies trends, all in one place.
Enter your search criteria and you can find everything from retro shirts, pants, tops, dresses and skirts. Then refine your search to match exactly what inspires you, and you will still have more choices than you can imagine!
Amazon’s Seventies collections include tie-dyed T-shirts, prairie-style embroidered and tasselled loose blouses, vintage flannel shirts, floral and striped midi skirts and all colours and sizes in bell-bottom jeans.
You also have special perks like free same-day shipping under certain conditions, and a vast selection of shoes and accessories to go with your clothing choices.
Beyond Retro offers you ruffled blouses, psychedelic Seventies shirts, cropped tees and other curated cultish choices from the best fashion decade in history.
You get the designer-level quality and styling that you would find in a bricks-and-mortar consignment store, with all the convenience of online shopping and doorstop delivery.
Check out their beyond retro choices and be surprised at the treasures you can source from this vintage market place.
These are just a few of the online sites that offer you Seventies fashion selections you can incorporate into your modern wardrobe.
Mixing seventies and beyond
Pair something vintage with something modern, like a classic white button-down shirt with vintage bell-bottom high-waisted jeans, finished with a broad black belt and black or white ankle boots, and you have a look that is all your very own yet harkens back to the timeless trends of the Seventies.
There are so many ways you can apply your fashion flair to elevate your everyday look by leveraging the key trends of Seventies fashion, so let your imagination guide you to the perfect pairings of throwback and current pieces for a uniquely you ensemble.
Disclosures, Disclaimers & Terms